Saturday, February 22, 2014

What have you learned from watching 4 and a half seasons of Parenthood in the last month?

Disclaimer: The only reason I am qualified to give this answer is that I was sick for most of last week, and Parenthood was my go-to show in my time of illness.

Looking back on it, I probably should've used all that recuperating time to read more. Or write more.

Oh well.

19 lessons I've learned from watching Parenthood

1. Some people can actually talk about their emotions out loud and not rely wholly on subtext. I am not one of those people yet, but Amber Braverman is. I wish I was a bit more like her.

2. Don't give up on yourself. Even if you're forty and you never went to college.

3. Everyone needs a family. Even that jerky Mr. Baldwin person, who didn't have anywhere else to go on Thanksgiving.



4. It's okay to live at home as an adult and it's okay not to live at home as an adult. I've done both myself. 

5. Berkeley is awesome, even though they don't really film there. Since I started watching this show, my trips to Berkeley have increased by 200 percent. Maybe someday I'll move there.



6. Families support each other and spend time together. 

7. Don't wait. Cancer or not, life is not a dress rehearsal. 

8. With your family, you can be as goofy as you want to be. 



9. Be committed to your relationships. Be trustworthy and dependable and stable and responsible. Like Adam.

10. But be willing to take risks and follow your heart. Also like Adam, later on in the show.

11. Be yourself and don't be afraid to change or stand out. Tangent: I feel like this is the hidden agenda behind every piece of entertainment these days. It's like the message of our generation. Everything from Frozen to NCIS. But you know what? I'm okay with it. I think it's a valid message.

12. Parents stress out about the weirdest things when it comes to their kids. 

13. There is always a way out of whatever mess you've gotten yourself into. And it's okay to ask your family for help if you can't figure out how to get out of the mess by yourself.

14. Hot and sensitive English teachers will still be interested in you years later because you actually are that awesome. Possibly this only applies for the beautiful people, like Lauren Graham. But the rest of us can dream, right? :) Also, I love The Sound and The Fury. Just saying.



15. People who can play an instrument are so much cooler than those who can't. That's why Crosby is so cool. Or at least one of the reasons.

16. Relationships take work no matter how old you get or how well you think you know the other person.

17. You can actually opt out of a conversation, but only for so long. If you are not emotionally ready to talk about something, just say that and you can be done with the conversation for awhile. I honestly didn't think about this as an option. Of course, eventually you will need to have that conversation you keep trying to put off.

18. Bangs look really bad with curly hair. Like really, really bad. Poor Haddie.

19. It's okay to be best friends with your siblings. In fact, it's kind of awesome.

Have I really learned all these lessons? I don't know. I noticed them. But some I've already blatantly ignored. Like when I got a haircut three days ago and I got bangs, even though my hair is kinda curly.

On the other hand, I have been spending more time than usual with my family, soooo....? Make of that what you will. I'm off to Novato to hang out with my sister-in-law!

No comments:

Post a Comment