Monday, August 10, 2015

What's it like in the [basement], Mickey?

First off, if you got the reference in the title of this post, we can be friends. If not, that's okay. But you should probably watch this clip to make up for it. Also, you should probably just watch it because it's awesome.


So I had a realization the other day. I mentioned to someone that I'm currently living in my grandparents' basement and from the look this person gave me, it occurred to me that basement living sounds less than optimal. Of course, no one who has actually been in my grandparents' basement has given me this look. That's because they know how nice the basement in question actually is.

To set the record straight, I am not living in some dark hole in the ground.

In fact, I'm living here:


That's my room. It used to be my dad's room when he was in high school. Look how bright and sunny it is! That's because it's got a big window looking out onto the backyard.


See my grandparents live on a hill. Well, it's more like the side of a mountain. So the backyard is a full level below the front yard. That means I don't really live in the basement. I just live downstairs. And it's a big downstairs. This is the TV room.


Note the awesome shag carpet. I love it. Not joking. I love that I can remember it being this way since I was a tiny kid. And this is the kitchen I'll be using while I'm here.



Well, the kitchen's in the background. In the foreground is a ginormous office table that used to be in the LDS Church Office Building. I still don't understand how the table got into the basement. It just appeared there around the time I was ten or eleven. But it's massive. The fact that it got inside defies all the laws of physics.

Next to the huge table is the skittles board. It's sitting on top of the xylophone, because where else would you put it?


Plus ten friendship points if you've ever actually played skittles. It's really fun.

Here's a shot of the backyard.


That white thing is the Tea House. It's a nice place to write (or blog) in the evenings.


And here's the balcony I was telling you about.


And the piano.


I'm pleased to report that I'm already getting better at the piano again. In just a few short practice sessions I've managed to level up from truly awful to only somewhat awful. Don't laugh. It's progress.

Oh, and here's the view of downtown SLC I mentioned. (Through some power lines.) I made it big so you can see better.


And now we'll head down the spiral staircase . . . (Don't worry, there are two staircases, so I don't have to use this one in the middle of the night or anything.)


And back to my room . . .


So I can show you the best part. . . . Check out this amazing wallpaper in my bathroom!


Isn't it cool?

Ladies and gentleman, this concludes our tour of my new abode.

Please take your belongings with you as you exit the train. And don't forget to wish my parents a happy anniversary on your way out. Thirty-two years today! Good job, Mom and Dad. ;)

But in all seriousness, I'm really grateful that my grandparents are letting me stay with them. I love their house, and I love being able to spend time with them. I'm really enjoying getting to know Salt Lake City and feeling like I'm settling in here. It's a great place to be, and life is good. Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment