Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Do you like living alone?

Indeed I do.

The end.



Okay, not really. But I couldn't figure out what else to put in this post because I didn't know what exactly it was that I really like about living alone. 

I didn't know till last night.

I mean, I realized pretty early on that it was nice to not have to do my dishes if I was in a hurry and it was great to be able to decorate in my personal style and maybe best of all that it was wonderful to have the option to be alone after a long day at work.

But as it turns out, my anti-social tendencies are only part of the equation. For me it all comes down to one thing: control. That's what I realized last night.

When you live alone you have total control over your environment. You get to decide everything from what's in the freezer to whether or not you'll own a television and how much you're going to pay for bed sheets. 

And it's AWESOME! I finally kinda sorta feel like a real grown up. Maybe.

Anyway, the encouraging part about this realization is that I know now that I won't have to live alone forever. 

I was a little worried that I'd get so into it I'd never want to share a house again. Not even when I (theoretically) get married someday. Assuming that ever happens. I mean, nobody wants to marry a girl who won't even live in the same house as him. Unless you're like a king or something and you're giving your queen her own summer palace. Pretty sure that happened a few times in history. But I think it was usually a ploy to get the queen out of the way so that the king could carry on with his rapscallion ways. Although... I might be willing to put up with a little bit of that if it meant getting my own castle. Still not ideal though.

So you can imagine why I was worried. I didn't want to be so happy living alone that I lost all motivation to ever cohabitate again.

That's why I'm so happy to report that I'm not nearly as anti-social as I used to think. I used to crave my me time. All the time. Because I never really got it. Growing up as the oldest of seven, the times when you had the house to yourself were rarer than the times you actually got the biggest cookie on the plate.

But it turns out I can get my fill of being alone. I'm not saying I'm lonely now. I'm not. And I always have the option to go out and be friends with people. But I'm pleased to find I'm not as much of a hermit as I always suspected.

If it's more about being in control than being actually alone, that's great. Now all I have to do is find someone who will always and without fail let me have things exactly my own way.

Oh.

That's not much better is it?

Hm... Well, that's a battle for another day.

Besides, it's not like I'm totally inflexible. I will gladly compromise.

Just as long as I get a castle out of it.



I'm kidding. Mostly.

The end. (For reals this time.)

No comments:

Post a Comment