Monday, March 31, 2014

What are you reading? Watching? Editing? Writing? Listening To?

So glad you asked!

Right now I'm rereading The Selection. And it's even better the second time around! Seriously, who knew a dystopian fantasy version of The Bachelor could be so, so good?


I can't wait for the third one to come out next month! I totally recommend this book. Although I will say there's a sprinkling of language here and there. Nothing awful. Just a couple words I wouldn't personally read out loud.

***

Currently watching New Girl, which I definitely cannot recommend because of what my dad calls schmankiness.

But I can tell you that I was super jazzed to see Lindsay from Freaks and Geeks back on my TV screen! 



Linda Cardellini isn't always my favorite. I was kind of so-so about her on ER, but I liked Lindsay. And Jess's sister Abby is basically a grown-up version of Lindsay. Things like that just make me happy. 

And now I'm going to pretend that Sweets was Bones's long-lost little brother this whole time. Because Abby and Jess are sisters and Zooey and Emily are sisters and so Bones and Sweets... just makes sense. It's like those SAT questions with the colons and double colons.

***

Anyway, I'm more excited about what I'm editing! Because my friend Christy asked me to edit her book! And it's super exciting! I don't have a picture for this one, but it's going to be great! I would tell you about it, but it's her book. So instead I'll tell you about what I am writing.

***

I am writing a modern high school epistolary version of Jane Austen's novels. It's so much fun! Here's a cover blurb I wrote just in case it's ever finished and I submit it and it gets published. (Sometimes I like to be prepared.) 

Lizzie's family is big and crazy. Nila's best friend just moved to England. Fiona's good at school and nothing else. Alice and Vivian are two sisters who couldn't be more opposite. And Catherine reads vampire novels. What do these six girls have in common? Not much.

But they do all attend Kellynch High School where their English teacher, Ms. Elliot has just given them a year-long journaling assignment to write down everything that happens to them, from beach trips to boys to picking out ball gowns.

Quirky and cute, this is Jane Austen with a modern makeover. A laugh-out-loud read that will reunite Austen's fans with their favorite heroines and send the younger set straight to the originals to find out what happens next!

Of course, this could all still change. That's the beauty of drafting. And yeah, I know it's a little weird to write a cover blurb for your own book. It's like writing about how cool you are in a resume or a cover letter. Just feels icky. But as a writer, I never know if I'll actually finish a project until I start to write about it instead of just writing it. Once I do that, it becomes real to me. And this one is really happening, guys. I wouldn't have told you about it if it wasn't.

***

Lastly, here's what I'm listening to. Don't know why. It's just the song of the week.


Also this one...

And with that, I guess my only other news is that I broke up with my boyfriend. Or he broke up with me. It was mutual. But we're both super happy to have dated and also super happy that it's over. Isn't life weird like that?

No comments:

Post a Comment